18 May 2008

Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian

Here we are again with the Chronicles of Narnia. This is the second book from C.S. Lewis within the entire series of The Chronicles of Narnia. Only some brief history is given in the movie of what has occurred at Narnia since the children left. Narnia is now ruled by the Telmarines and the Narnians have gone into hiding, believed to be extinct. Prince Caspian is the next in line for king of Narnia and is believed to give Narnia back to the Narnians. However, when his aunt gives birth to a son his uncle plots to kill him and take his throne. Caspian’s professor helps him escape in the middle of the night and gives him Queen Susan’s horn. During an event-filled chase scene, Caspian runs into some Narnians and before he can think he blows the horn.

Thus Enters Peter, Susan, Edmond and Lucy, the kings and queens of old. That is all you’re going to get from me, I do not take too kindly to people ruining movies for me or telling me: “Dude, this one part…” I have read all the Narnia books and was thoroughly entertained by both the books and the movies. I do, however, like the first Narnia movie better. Prince Caspian was a good movie, the cinematography was good, acting was good and it was even humorous at times. There was just something in me or the movie that didn’t build as much anticipation or growing interest.

When the wife and I purchased our tickets, the young gentleman asked if we had read the books and we replied that we had and then he began to give us the run-down of what he thought of the movie in comparison to the books. “It strays a lot from the book, but I enjoyed it.” That is all I am asking for: Enjoyment! I do not want to watch a movie then break out the book and begin underlining or highlighting the differences because where would that get me? Nowhere! What now? Send an angry letter to the MPAA and let them know that I am highly disappointed with how they handled the screenwriting? What kind of no-life, insecure, closed-minded, unimaginative prat do you think I am, the old Siskel and Ebert? (no offense!)

I say it was worth my $7 (military discount, yeah!) to sit there for a couple hours and forget about the laundry list of things I gotta do when I get home. I was entertained and will offer this information to think about: If I was watching this movie, and it was good, don’t get me wrong, but if I needed to go to the restroom and dispose of my overpriced movie beverage, I would, my wife wouldn’t.

“Sift through that and find a nugget… sift away Sifty!”

1 comment:

Pat R said...

the makers of Prince Caspian kept to the original story better than i would have expected... i heard they were going to make it into a silly pure-action flick, but thankfully this was not so much the case

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online