13 May 2008

The Golden Compass

There are several times in the lives of those fortunate few where a movie comes along and completely drains life itself! The Golden Compass is one of those movies. I was rather excited to see this flick with a good cast, adventure, science fiction-esque concept and finally one of the greatest elements that can guarantee the success of a movie… talking animals?!

There has been a large amount of arguing over the religious content of this movie, so, while this is not a religious blog but simply as an excuse to write what I think about movies I have seen. I will, however, offer the feeling from myself of confusion? As I started watching this movie I was thinking about what I heard regarding this authors stance on religion and I was thoroughly confused until 1 hr and 40 minutes and 37 seconds. I remember looking at the DVD player, noting the time mark and thinking: “OOOOOOH!!!!”. This does not bode well when the entire movie is 1 hr 43 minutes!

There is an ethereal item that they are searching for and the Magisterium is trying to stop them and deny the existence of “Dust”. If my assumption is correct the Magisterium is the bad guys and those searching for the “dust” are the good guys. It seems to me that the roles are reversed? And Until that illuminus 1hr 40min 37sec I was just confused!

There may be some or even most of you that feel I am wrong since I have not read the books and I am not loosing my identity in the characters, world and vernacular since my life is not worth living so I must find a way to escape myself? (big breath!!) The entire reason to watch a movie is so we do not have to read the book, am I right? There are some times where I sit and read the book of the movie I have seen or read the book first. I go to movies to be entertained, explosions, great concepts, deaths in extraordinary ways and to L.O.L.!

Suckfest!

"What I thought" Meter:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I read the book a few years ago. I have also heard the scuttlebut on the "religious concerns". Either way, the movie was confusing and if it is a danger to the beliefs of many, I'm not sure why. It could be used as a great conversation starter on the "religious" aspects that could be at risk. You can take a concern and use it as a great teaching tool, I believe.

To see or not to see? Eh - no great loss if you never do!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online